The hotel greeted us with open arms and our children immediately ran to explore their new surroundings. Nestled in a remote and peaceful valley, Family Hotel Gorfion in Malbun, Liechtenstein was exactly the type of holiday we needed as a family. The hotel knows what children and parents need in order to offer respite from the day – to – day stress that often bogs us down as we try to juggle all the demands of raising a young family.
As the morning sun peeked out over the horizon we would slowly make our way to the outdoor playground for a morning swing, or dig before eating a hearty breakfast. After breakfast, we fell into the true rhythm of the hotel and encouraged our children to play, create and explore with others in the child care, while we set off to discover the beautiful peaks that dominated the landscape. After a few hours of solo hiking, we would return to pick – up our always happy children, who were all too eager to tell us what they had done in our time away. We would then enjoy a family lunch and participate in an afternoon activity with the children. For us, the hotel offered the perfect blend of family time and the alone time we desperately needed as a couple.
Children enjoying the hotel
For those parents who are raising their children alone (think expat life), hotels such as the Family Hotel Gorfion might just be the perfect solution to finding the alone time you crave as a couple. This was our first mini-vacation that actually felt like a holiday, as we were able to hike as a couple, talk as adults and relish in each others company. Our time alone was enhanced by the fact that our children were able to play, meet new friends and create their own memories away from us. Children need breaks from their parents as well!
Hiking in Malbun, Liechtenstein
Hiking in Malbun, Liechtenstein
Family Hotel Gorfion
Enjoying afternoon ice cream in the heat of the day
Sweet church in the mountains
With incredible child care available onsite, amazing activities to keep our children entertained and a ton of onsite amenities, this establishment restored our faith in family hotels. To learn more about the hotel, please visit their website, but we have provided a quick overview of the amenities and services the hotel provides for families.
- Perfectly accommodated our family of four (small bunk beds were available with side rails for the children)
- A small table and chairs were also in the room for the children to use for coloring, eating, etc.
- Robes were provided for the entire family to use at the pool or spa
- A small, indoor swimming pool available onsite (our children loved this)
- A great playground outside just by the terrace so that the parents could enjoy a drink or meal, while the children jumped on the trampoline, dug in the sand – pit, enjoyed the swings, played ping pong, or rode the many Bobbi cars available
- Petting Zoo (Chickens, Goats, Guinea Pigs, Donkeys)
- Kinder Care – check website for details and hours
- Strollers available onsite
- Hiking Backpacks available onsite
- Spa for adults
- Lounge for adults
- Lie in Service – on specific days – Wednesday and Saturday (we unfortunately missed this unbelievable opportunity)
- A common area that offered a refrigerator, washing machine and dryer and microwave oven! Amazing!
- Daily activities – while we were visiting the hotel, our children enjoyed trekking through the mountains with llamas and a picnic lunch. The hotel also offered a traditional Berghaus breakfast, but we opted not to partake. The hotel posts all activities in a central location for all to see.
- Drinks available all day at children’s level so they could help themselves
- Buffet breakfast
- Snacks in the afternoon
- Ice Cream hour (this was a huge hit with out children and a welcome treat during the heat of the day)
- Dinner – parents can opt to eat with or without children (side – note, I had the absolute best truffle ravioli of my life)
- Fresh baby meals prepared daily onsite with organic and local ingredients. Parents of small children are provided with a menu to select meals from. Wow!
Needless to say, we all had a lovely time and our children were quite sad when we told them it was time to go home.
Hotel Website: http://gorfion.s-hotels.com/en/family-children-hotel-switzerland-austria